I am running Win XP SP2 and noticed a couple of days ago that Task Manager list has shown this new process. It is in WindowsSystem32 and the Properties Tab doesn’t has the Version item, which shows the company details.Does anyone know about this program UAService.exe? Is it a Trojan or something?
It’s some SecuROM Copy Protection Client, you need it to play a protected game.
UAService.exe is Trojan/Backdoor. Kill the process UAService.exe and remove UAService.exe from Windows startup.
I opt for Version One. It may come from the the Oxford Dictionary I recently installed.
In this post, I mentioned the clean and elegant interface of Tudumo, and recommended it as a good Getting Things Done program. However, I think I found a bug of it when I typed Chinese characters in it:
It does not break long lines of Chinese characters, and the words that exceeds the length of a line are simply not displayed. It breaks long lines in English without a problem.
I am considering going back to the combination of MindManager and Chaos Manager, because the former is a perfect outliner and the latter is a a perfect reminder program.
There is a big inflation going on in China. While the salary didn’t increase much in the past few years, the prices of goods for daily consumption have soared, most noticeably for such things as rice, cooking oil and pork.
A picture is worth a a thousand words and there is one I came across on kdnet.net
1. Before the inflation
2. After the inflation
Caption: A Nation on Diet
“I’m Knight” provided some valuable insights on the reorganization of categories and tags under WordPress
- consolidate into fewer categories and make it one level only. No more hierarchy category.
- the tag feature is build-in now. I can just make a open source category and tag each entry with more specific tag like Debian and LAMP.
- tag your old post too, make it more visible to the search engine
- tags can sort out the related posts and help display them to visitors
Tools to use
When I tried to change category names, WordPress simply prompted “category not updated”. I digged into the WordPress forum and find the solution in this post.
The issue may be that you are trying to change a category slug description to a category slug description that already exists within your blog. No doubles are allowed.
I changed the category slug into a unique one and the problem was resolved.
Or better, instead of changing the slug or category, deleting the conflicting tags seems to be a better solution:
This happen after wordpress 2.3 release and introduce tag feature , the database structure has been changed, it combine the links category, post category and tag in one table, because for category slug it need to be unique, when you unable to change means the “word” has been used either by link category or tag.
There are numerous applications to manage your time and keep a To-do-list. For me the ideal application of this category should meet the following standards:
- It should be freeware
- Simple to add, delete and organize tasks
- Remind me with sounds, preferably some cool sounds
- Intuitive interface
- Sleek in size. Not colossal programs for such a simple job
To be sure, the simplest method is to create a text file on the desktop and write down the things to do in that file. If the owner of this to-do-list file is persistent with his tasks and often finish them promptly, this easiest solution also becomes the best solution.
I wanted something fancier which can keep reminding me of the things to do, but I will stay away from any program that takes too much time to organize tasks.
Here are a list of the programs that appeared on my radar:
- MindManager — The best brain-storming program. I love to use it to organize thoughts and ideas or help me make decisions. It could have been my first choice as a time management software because it has pop-up reminders for scheduled tasks. However, it can’t play sounds for for the scheduled tasks and adding a reminder isn’t very convenient.
- Chaos Manager — I used this program extensively before together with Atomic Alarm Clock. Actually, this post is inspired by this program because I forgot its name and searched widely on the Internet to find it. It is completely free and comes with a lot of skins. Tasks can be easily added and it reminds you by pop-upping a window with a chime sound.
- Tudumo — After using it for a couple of minutes, I’m very impressed by its elegant design and the intuitive task organization. Its site describes the program as simple and powerful and it certainly lives up to what is says as a popular GTD (Getting Things Done). It does not play sounds but its interface makes task organization a breeze. Highly recommended for anyone who is willing to buy it after 60 trial days.
Registration fee apart, Tudumo certainly tops the rest two program all off. And my choice goes to Chaos Manager because it is free and does the job.
I highly recommend Dirfile.com when you are searching for planner programs or other freeware to use. I found the dear old program — Chaos Manager on this site.
Update 1: Tudumo is more like an organizer while Chaos Manager is a powerful reminder. One drawback I found in Tudumo is that events can only be scheduled on sharp hours and half hours. For Chao Manager, its sounds of reminders files never fails to get your attention — a duck quack, a bullet ricochet and a chime.
Update 2: Somehow the site of Chaos Manage is no longer accessible as of writing (2010/10/03). But you can download it from many software portals.
Update3: The designer of Tudomo has mailed me a license for free. Thank you Richard!
I found a web site called Internet Archive that hosts some of Lin Yutang’s books, including my favorite The Importance of Living and My Country and My People. I am yet to dig this site for other valuables, but this finding is already sweet enough.
You can download his books here.
Note: This chronicle is my selective translation of the material on a site created by Bo Yang’s major publisher.
- 1920 Born.
- 1933 age 14. Couldn’t get along with his step-mother, and went back to his hometown to attend the primary school. He met the teacher Ke Fei, to whom he was greatly indebted for developing his interest in reading. He met the evil math teacher Hong Wanzun.
- 1935 age 16. Defied the headmaster and was expelled from the secondary school.
- 1937 age 18. Beat his step-mother.
- 1938 age 19. Joined the Nationalist Party and met the beloved teacher Wu Wenyi.
- 1939 age 20. Married with Ai Shaohe. His father died at the age of 57.
- 1942 age 23. First experience with Christianity in a bomb-shelter in an air-raid. Bought a counterfeit in-school certificate and was accepted into the Gansu Law College in Lanzhou.
- 1943 age 24. Traveled the West Yellow River Corridor (Hexi) in Gansu Province. He was expelled from the college after his use of the fake school certificate was exposed. Fell in love with Cui Xiuying and lived with her.
- 1946 age 27. Graduated from Northeast University in Santai majoring Political Science. Lost contact with Cui Xiuying in the civil war.
- 1947 age 28. Became a timber merchant. He was permanently banned from school for using a fake diploma to get into Northeast University.
- 1950 age 31. Sentenced six months into prison for listening to the radio broadcast of the communist party. He lost his job after the arrest. The actual term served was seven months.
- 1959 age 40. Married with Ni Minghua.
- 1968 age 49. When translating the comic strip Popeye the Sailor Man, he rendered the word “fellows” into “Dear Fellow Soldiers and Civilians” a speech opener frequently used by the dictator Chiang Kai-shek. This translation subsequently incurred him an imprisonment of ten years. On March 7, he was arrested for being “a communist spy” and “slandering the country leadership”. The death sentence he received was later commuted to a twelve year imprisonment. He made March 7 this new birthday, although the date on his arrest warrant was March 3.
- 1969 age 50. On hearing his wife filed for divorce to end their ten year marriage, he fasted in the prison for twenty one days.
- 1975 age 56. A national amnesty was granted after Chiang Kai-Shek died. The term of imprisonment for political prisoners were reduced by one third. Bo Yang’s was reduced to eight years.
- 1976 age 57. After serving his eight year term in prison, he was still under house arrest on the island of the prison establishment.
- 1977 age 58. Under the interference of the U.S., Bo Yang was released from the prison after spending nine years and twenty six days in prison. He returned to Taipei.
- 1978 age 59. He married with poet Zhang Xianghua on Feburary 4.
- 1984 age 65. From August to November, he joined a three month writing session for international writers in Idaho, United States. Started making speeches on The Ugly Chinaman.
- 1985 age 66. The book The Ugly Chinaman was published. His modern Chinese translation and annotation of the history classic The Comprehensive Mirror for Aid in Government (Zi Zhi Tong Jian) was selected as the most valuable and best-selling book of the nation. The book The Schematic History of Chinese People was listed among top ten of the most influential books on China.
- 1988 age 69. He and his wife visited the Mainland China.
- 1996 age 77. The Memoir of Bo Yang was published by Ylib (Yuan-Liou).
- 2008 age 89. Died on April 29 in Sindian City, Taiwan.