Now I have a new perspective of what happiness is: it is more dependent on what you don’t have than what you have and plan to have.
In many situations, the state of self-contentment and peace of mind is the best thing one can get in this world. Simple things such as eating and sleeping can become so scarce and valueable for people who are in a difficult situation. Always be grateful for the simple happiness in our daily life, and value it.
It seems the motto below just fits this post:
Empty what is full, and fill what is empty
Update: Running Hiren’s BootCD from hard drive has become much simpler in its recent releases (at least version 10.0 and above). Please use the following method instead to boot it from your hard drive:
- make sure the partition is FAT32 not NTFS (let’s assume its C: from this point on)
- in the HBCD directory of the ISO image, find the two files menu.lst and grldr, and copy them to C:
- copy the entire directory HBCD to C:
- download grub4dos, extract grub.exe to C:
- modify boot.ini file for XP, and add C:GRLDR=”Hiren” to it
Now reboot the system and choose Hiren in the menu. You are good to go. As a side note, Hiren should include the NTFS support into boot.gz image. If you feel adventurous, you can try to do it yourself, thus enabling booting Hiren from a NTFS partition.
The following is the old method, and only use it for the old version of Hiren BootCD.
Hiren’s BootCD is easily rankings itself among the best boot cds and system maintenance tools. I have configured it to run both from my USB stick or directly from hard disk. Here is how to boot Hiren’s BootCD from the hard disk using grub for dos (grub4dos).
- The first step is getting grub4dos and release the GRLDR, grub.exe and MENU.lst to the root directory of C:
- Open the ISO file of Hiren’s BootCD using Daemon Tools or Winimage and extract the directory HBCD to the root directory of C:
- Edit MENU.lst and put the following code into it:
title Start Hiren's BootCD
find --set-root /HBCD/boot.gz
map --mem /HBCD/boot.gz (fd0)
- Edit the boot.ini file under C: and put the following line into it. This will make Windows load grub4dos, and then grub4dos will load Hiren’s boot file to boot it.
- You can also boot the mini WinXP in the HBCD directory by adding the following code into the MENU.lst file.
title Mini Windows Xp
find --set-root /HBCD/XPLOADER.BIN
After the modifications, reboot the system to use your Hiren’s BootCD from the hard disk. Becaues the boot.gz under HBCD does does not come with ntfs drivers, this method only works when C: is in FAT32 format.
Let me count the blessings I have in my life at this moment:
- Good health
- A family
- A job
- 33 of age
I can experiement with my life and have new adventures, but remember, do not ruin any of the blessings I have just because I am not sure who I am.
I should have been more appreciative of all the blessings bestowed on me. Just be less selfish and try to give more. And remember, giving is taking.
Merry Christmas and (I hope!) Happy New Year!
I am no economist, but I can make a few predictions of China’s economic situation in 2010. As a common consumer and wage earner, I see into my wallet and make the following economic forecast:
- House prices will NOT fall. The last thing the government wish to see is massive bank insolvency due to slump in real estate prices. It will try everything to save the cash cow while not inflate the market so much to burst the bubble. The house price will remain stable.
- The age of inflation has come. The cost of protecting the real estate market is steady rise of inflation rate. More money will be printed to make up for the staggering house prices, and consequently the cost of living will rise together with the price of commodities for livelihood.
- Hopefully, the printed money will flow more into the pockets of the grass people who are the engine of the economy. If left with shrinking savings and no reliable social safety network, the damaged engine will cause the economy to collapse.
So the key of all economic problems in China depends on one thing: if the mass population in the bottom of the social pyramid can restart the engine and keep it running.
I will see what happens next year.
How to prevent files under wp-content/uploads to be listed in the browser? It is actually a one-liner under Lighttpd (lighty).
/etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf and change
server.dir-listing into disable.
server.dir-listing = "disable"
If you choose to enable directory listing, you can set the encoding of the file names to be displayed:
dir-listing.encoding = "utf-8"
There are wonderful resources about lighty in the following two sites: Flexion.Org and Calomel.org